Mazhiq village, situated along Mitrovica – Podujeva road, 13 kilometres off Mitrovica, is the location of renown mosque and cemetery compound named Trepca Mosque (“Xhamia e Trepçës”). The Trepca Mosque represents the abandoned vestiges and town since the period of Ottoman conquest, which is the foundation period of the mosque. Originally, it may have been a masjid, but was later converted into a mosque. Data on its erection changes over time. According to Turkish records, the mosque was built by Muslihuddin Abdu’l-Gani around the middle of 16th century, or in Hijra calendar, by the end of 956 (middle of 1549). He also founded the construction of “Dykanxhik Xhamia” (Dykanxhik Mosque), “Kurshumli Han” (Kurshumli Inn), “Shengyl Hamam” (Shengul Hamam) as well as the water supply system in Skopje. According to written records (“Vakfije” – No.v. EV. KK 632 Defter. pg. 494 … 209) in the same location, the very same person, along with Masjid also built an inn, believed to have the foundation close the mosque. According to Vakfije, villagers around the town of Trepça was dealing with agriculture and tended their fields during the day.
The mosque served for performing the morning, evening and night prayers. The building today lost its original function. A grave with Ottoman inscription is also located in the mosque yard, bearing the name of RAMAZAN BIN written in the year 1000 H. (1591 – 1592) while another marking indicates 967 H. (1559). It was made of mixed stone-brick wall. Connections from walls to dome is made through bars (“pandatif”). Central dome, foyer domes as well as angle elements – bars are all made of hardened bricks. Walls are arranged using stones, while to the inside of the worship room they terminate in form of arches, at two rows, implemented by means of hardened bricks.
The building is a single-storey ground floor rectangular facility, made of a worship area and an entrance area – foyer. The central elevated space for prayer was covered by a dome, while the foyer with two domes. The minaret was built in stones and placed in the western part of the mosque. What makes this building unique is its eccentric entrance rather than central, which was typical of the period. Windows in the first level are squared with stone arches, while the second floor windows and windows at bar level are arched, with chiselled stones. This culture monument is in ruins presently. The walls are substantially damaged while the central dome is completely ruined. Also the entrance area – foyer, masts, arches and both domes are completely ruined, except for the western wall.
All decorative elements inside the space are absent, except for Imam prayer area, which is largely destroyed. The foundation of the minaret is preserved to present day. The mosque did not suffer transformations over time.